The Firm was not focused on making money, but instead saving the marriage. [I was pleased by Chuck’s] friendliness, honesty and genuine concern for the wellbeing of both parties.
— Client, June 1, 2017

Cases of divorce can be some of the most difficult and trying issues for clients.  These matters can be very personal and have a lasting impact on the lives of clients and their children.  Attorney Chuck Efstration works diligently on behalf of clients to provide effective, results-oriented representation in matters of family law.  In your case, you deserve an attorney with exceptional skills inside and outside of the courtroom, dedicated to your long-term success.

Chuck is experienced in both uncontested and contested divorce proceedings.  In Georgia, the Superior Court has jurisdiction for divorce proceedings.  Before a divorce may be filed in Georgia, the person requesting the divorce must have lived in Georgia for six months before filing with the court. 

The State of Georgia recognizes 13 grounds for divorce.  However, in many cases a divorce is requested because the marriage is irretrievably broken.  This is considered a “no fault divorce” because the person filing does not specifically allege that the spouse’s conduct caused the divorce.  

A “temporary hearing” is sometimes required in contested divorce proceedings.  This hearing allows a judge to decide issues on a temporary basis, until the issues of the divorce are resolved by settlement or trial.  Each party may call one witness to testify at the temporary hearing, although affidavits and/or depositions of additional witnesses may be introduced.  

In uncontested divorce proceedings, the parties will sometimes reach a settlement agreement, resolving all issues of the divorce.  When this occurs, the settlement agreement may be filed, with a request for the judge to issue a Final Judgment and Decree of Divorce after 31 days have passed from the time the other party acknowledged receiving the complaint for divorce.

At the conclusion of a divorce case, a Final Judgment and Decree of Divorce is issued.  Alimony, equitable division of marital property, and other issues may be reflected in the divorce decree.  If there are minor children from the marriage, the court will typically issue a parenting plan and child support order for the parties to follow.


The content provided on this webpage and website are for general information purposes only and are not to be considered as legal advice.  Each case is unique.  For a consultation concerning your case, contact Attorney Chuck Efstration at 678-835-4886.