Contempt of a Court Order

I continue to experience professionalism, trustworthiness and appreciate their willingness to work with me as their client. Thank you!!!!
— Client, April 20, 2017

Contempt is a judicial determination that a party has willfully violated the terms of a court order.  Contempt issues can arise in a family law matter when one parent fails to comply with the judge’s order for the payment of child support, the allocation of alimony, following custody/visitation terms, or any other term of the court’s order to the parties.  It might be necessary for you to seek a contempt order if: (1) you are not receiving court ordered child support from the other parent on behalf of minor children, (2) you are being denied court-ordered parenting time with your minor children, or (3) the other party is refusing to follow conditions of the divorce decree or legitimation order.  

To hold a party in contempt, the judge must determine that the party is intentionally refusing to follow the court’s order.  A contempt action is generally filed in the court in which the violated order was issued.  

A judge may sanction a party for contempt with incarceration until the court ordered is followed and/or an order for owed payments (with interest) and an assessment for attorney’s fees. 


The content provided on this webpage and website are for general information purposes only and are not to be considered as legal advice.  Each case is unique.  For a consultation concerning your case, contact Attorney Chuck Efstration at 678-835-4886.